At the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, several of our friends and family members had their identities stolen. When we asked how they went about recovering their accounts, we found most companies did not have a safe or easy way to verify their identity. They asked questions about their account history, questions based on their profile – but most often, our friends had to go in-person and show their ID to verify themselves.
It was at this moment that we realized while the internet has advanced, digital security hasn’t. Profiles and important transactions have all gone digital, but there’s no way to truly prove that we’re the people we say we are. We can verify our accounts, but not our identities.
Social Security Numbers, phone numbers, passports, and physical IDs – none of these alone can confirm our identities on the modern web. They leave us susceptible to phishing, allow unwanted contact from strangers, and cannot be protected or updated in real time. Fraud and identity theft has serious costs for both consumers and the companies they use, making it hard to build trust in a digital world.
84% of businesses believe better customer identification will enable them to recognize and target fraud.
63% of US businesses suffered data breaches over the past 2 years, leading regulators to increase disclosure requirements.
72% of consumers are willing to share personal info IF it leads to strong security, improved experience and greater sense of control.
And that’s why Nametag was born - to be the next generation of identity. We recognize the end of the stand-alone ID number as a proof of identity, and understand the importance of secure multi-factor authentication. People want an easy, convenient way to access their accounts, control their data, and be protected. Companies want the confidence and intelligence that their customers are really who they claim to be.
The world we live in today is online, over the phone, and in-person. So, we set out to make a product that can verify it’s really you securely across all three - that’s passwordless, single-sign on, consumer-controlled, privacy protected, hassle-free and right on your phone.
• From rental sites, to bank accounts, to dating apps and more, we believe everyone online, on the phone or in-person should accept your Nametag as a way to verify it’s you.
• Your information deserves to be privacy protected. Our in-app vault securely stores all of your important information in one place where only you can access it.
• You own your own data - and you should be in total control of how much you share, who you share it with, and when you share it. Identity is real-time. Scanning an ID is a start, but you need to know that someone’s information is accurate at that exact moment.
• When companies can identity their customers with confidence, it ensures a safer and more personal experience for them.
• ID should be portable – not just physically, but across the web. We believe you should be able to quickly and easily reshare your information across all sites you visit.
Our team is made up of cyber security professionals, former Co-founders/CTOs from the security and identity domains, and multiple world-class computer science PhDs who are experts on applied cryptography, machine vision, and artificial intelligence. Nametag is being built from state-of-the-art industry standards by engineers who are masters of their craft.
We’re fortunate to be financially backed by some of the biggest names in the technology industry.
Glasswing Ventures funds generation-defining businesses harnessing the power of AI and frontier technologies to transform markets and revolutionize industries.
Village Global is focused on the strength of trusted networks and funded by some of the world’s most successful entrepreneurs.
Nametag’s network of advisors are current and former CEOs, CTOs, founders, and industry leaders who are committed to our mission to bring authenticity to the internet and enable people to build more trusted relationships.
To get in touch with our team, contact us here, or follow us on LinkedIn.